WWE had a live event in Mexico this weekend, and several big names showed up for the show in a country with huge wrestling fanbase. Hometown heroes like Cain Velasquez and Humberto Carillo wrestled together, while Rey Mysterio, although not a native, main-evented the show in a Steel Cage Match.
Cain Velasquez made his return to the WWE ring after a month, his last match being at Crown Jewel against Brock Lesnar. Velasquez tapped out to Lesnar in a quick and uneventful matchup and is yet to appear on WWE TV since.
Velasquez talked about his return to his home country and said it was a great feeling to return to a place with such passionate fans. Velasquez made his professional wrestling debut in his home country when he showed up at AAA Triplemania a few months ago.
“For me it’s just a blessing to come back to Mexico. Whether I’m competing or just doing whatever here. I think the people and the fans they are the best. Obviously, they’ve been some of my dearest most die-hard fans I’ve had throughout my whole UFC career and now my pro wrestling and WWE career.”
Velasquez teamed up with Carillo to defeat Gallows and Anderson in a tag-match, and it will be interesting to see when he comes back to WWE next.
The main event saw The Fiend bring out the new version of the belt, and defend it successfully against Rey Mysterio in a Steel Cage match. This was Mysterio’s third title match in a week, after unsuccessfully challenging Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series and defeating AJ Styles for the United States title on RAW.
WWE Live Event Results | Mexico
- Randy Orton defeated Ricochet via pinfall
- WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions The Kabuki Warriors defeated Charlotte Flair & Becky Lynch, Sasha Banks & Bayley, Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross via pinfall
- Aleister Black defeated Andrade via pinfall
- Bobby Lashley defeated Rusev via count-out
- Cain Velasquez and Humberto Carrillo defeated The O.C. (Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson) via pinfall
- Roman Reigns defeated Baron Corbin via pinfall in a Street Fight
- Braun Strowman defeated Sami Zayn and WWE Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura via pinfall in a handicapped non-title match
- Kevin Owens defeated Seth Rollins via Disqualification
- WWE Universal Champion “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt defeated Rey Mysterio in a Steel Cage Match