Finn Balor defended his NXT title against Kyle O’Reilly at Takeover 31 last Sunday, and came out on top in a gruesome encounter, which caused injuries to both the stars.
Balor suffered a jaw injury, which was possibly the reason behind the match ending early. WWE confirmed the injury on this week’s NXT and said that he will be out of action for some time.
On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer reported that Balor has indeed suffered an injury after breaking his jaw in two different spots. However, according to an insider from NXT, WWE is making this a bigger deal than it is supposed to be.
“It’s not inaccurate [that his jaw is broken in two places], but I was told that it was made out to be worse than it is, whatever that means. I was told that by somebody there — I mean he’s got a broken jaw, but that’s what I was told.”
It is unclear how serious WWE is taking this, as they would have had Balor relinquish the title if the injury was worse than expected.
WWE was forced to vacate the title just last month, as Karrion Kross suffered an injury during his title-winning match at NXT Takeover 30.