AEW Dynamite Results and Takeaways
- AEW Dynamite opened with Tony Schivanone accompanied by Cody and Kenny Omega for commentary, who announced several matches planned for the evening.
- Cody defeated the returning Jimmy Havoc in the opening match after hitting a reverse suplex followed by a Cross Rhodes for the pinfall. Post-match, Jake Roberts demanded a match for his client Lance Archer against Cody.
- Darby Allin cut a promo, in which he wore masks of all members of the Inner Circle and promised to destroy Kip Sabian later in the night, who will pay for the sins of the faction.
- Darby Allin defeated Kip Sabian w/ Penelope Ford: Ford tried her best to ensure her boyfriend gets one over on Allin, but the young upstart overcame the numbers to win the match with the Last Supper.
- Jake Hager defeated Chico Adams: Hager demonstrated his brutality and took down Adams after applying the arm triangle submission for the win. Moxley attacked Hager post-match, but Hager retreated to the back. Moxley cut a promo challenging Hager for a match.
- Brodie Lee was shown having steak with John Silver and Alex Reynolds. A frustrated Lee threw out both the superstars for disrespecting him.
- Brodie Lee def. QT Marshall: In his in-ring debut, Lee demonstrated his tremendous strength, and took out Marshall in a quick matchup. Lee hit the discus lariat for the win.
- VANGUARD 1 provided a status update on Nick Jackson, who is apparently 61% healed from his injuries from two weeks ago.
- AAA Mega Championship | Kenny Omega defeated Sammy Guevara: A brilliant matchup for AAA’s top title saw Omega reign victorious, after hitting the One-Winged Angel on the Spanish God.
- Chris Jericho confronted Matt Hardy and asked him to join the Inner Circle, as Jericho helped people resurrect their careers. Hardy refused and ended up singing Jeff Hardy’s obsolete song. Sammy Guevara attacked Hardy, but Omega and Cody made the save. The Inner Circle members tried to enter the ring but Hardy started a fire with his ‘magic’ and stood tall to end the show.
AEW Dynamite Takeaways
1. A Magical Presence
AEW has a lot of bizarre characters, including an alien and a masked dinosaur, and Matt Hardy along with his drone just joined the list. The whole segment to end the show was the peak of professional wrestling, with Jericho arguing with a drone making things even more hilarious.
It remains to be seen how the Broken Universe expands in AEW, and how his relationship with the Elite evolves in the coming weeks. Jericho and Hardy competing on the Hardy Compound is a match every wrestling fan will appreciate, and hopefully, AEW does it in the future.
2. A Parody or A Revenge?
Brodie Lee went after Vince McMahon for the second week in a row, which begs the question of whether taking shots at your former company and the company which AEW isn’t supposedly rivaling, is the best thing to do. TNA went down the same route all those years ago and was called out for the stupid parodying, and AEW mustn’t go down the same path.
Lee is a terrific character, and they can do lots of things with him instead of parodying the CEO of his former company. It seems petty and childish for AEW.