AEW Results and Highlights
The first live episode of AEW Dynamite in quite some time hit TNT, from the Daily’s Place with more wrestlers in the crowd than usual.
- Cody def. Joey Janela: Cody opened the live show with a win over Janela after he hit him with the Cross Rhodes for the pinfall victory.
A video package of Nyla Rose was aired, much to her dislike. Hikaru Shida, Britt Baker and Penelope Ford were highlithed as the possible challengers.
- Nyla Rose def. Kenzie Paige: Rose returned to the ring after quite some time and took out the 18-year-old debutant with the Beast Bomb.
MJF cut a promo and said he is the next big thing, and at 24 years old, he has done more than many experienced individuals. He promised to return soon and next week he’ll be in action.
Shawn Spears talked Dustin Rhodes’ loss last week and said Cody is a bad brother for letting Dustin suffer that much damage, which could have potentially ended his career.
MJF applauded Spears for calling out Cody, and said he is not just healed, but overhealed. He is scheduled to take on Jungle Boy at Double or Nothing.
- Jon Moxley def. Frankie Kazarian: The AEW World Champion made his return by taking out the SCU member with the Paradigm Shift. It was Kazarian’s first singles match in over a year.
Brodie Lee and his army attacked Jon Moxley, as Scorpio Sky and Christopher Daniels tried to make the save. Brodie Lee challenged Jon Moxley for his title and said he isn’t the same guy Moxley faced in the past.
Brandi Rhodes called out Jake Roberts for his comments and said he shouldn’t be disrespecting her or her husband Cody Rhodes. She ordered Roberts to keep her name out of his dirty old mouth.
- Lance Archer def. QT Marshall: Archer took out Marshall with the Blackout, while taunting Brandi throughout the match. Post-match, Britt Baker attacked Brandi, followed by Jake Roberts bringing his snake and laying it on a laid-out Rhodes.
- Sex Gods def. Kenny Omega and Matt Hardy: An intense hardcore street fight saw Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara defeat the babyfaces with some help from the Inner Circle.
AEW Dynamite Takeaways
1. Insanity in Overdrive
The craziness of AEW Dynamite ever since Broken Matt joined the roster has been tremendous, and there are moments of top-level hilarity during the show which will leave any fan sports entertained. The main-event saw Jericho and Guevara brawl Hardy and Omega all over the arena, which had a hardcore battle, a man emerging from ice, two men chasing a Spanish God while driving a golf cart, and much more!
It is amazing how Dynamite combines serious moments (Cody-Archer, Moxley-Lee) with such insanity. It provides the right mix of sports entertainment and professional wrestling, and it’s bound to leave you satisfied.
2. Blast from the Past.
Jon Moxley and Brodie Lee crossed paths on several occasions during their time with The Shield and Wyatt Family respectively, and now the two individuals will battle for the top title of AEW on Double or Nothing. Lee’s terrific promo to set up the match instantly set the pace for this rivalry, and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
With Lee joining the title fray, all the feuds for AEW World Championship so far (Moxley-Hager, Moxley-Jericho, Jericho-Cody) have featured former WWE superstars. Moxley won’t drop the title anytime soon while pinning Lee will take some shine off of him. The result of this encounter shall be interesting.