WWE NXT Results and Highlights
The show kicked off with a locker room incident, where Finn Balor was potentially attacked. William Regal removed Balor from the Dream vs Balor main-event matchup.
Dream entered the ring but was interrupted by a returning Adam Cole. He was then blindsided by Bobby Fish and Roderick Strong before Keith Lee made the save.
- Dakota Kai and Raquel Gonzalez def. Tegan Nox and Shotzi Blackheart: After Blackheart’s actions last week, the two teams squared off with the heels winning, courtesy of a one-handed powerbomb by Gonzalez on Blackheart.
Drake Maverick’s emotional video after his release was shown, as he prepares to compete in his final three matches for WWE in the Cruiserweight tourney.
- Jake Atlas def. Drake Maverick: Atlas defeated Maverick to go 1-0 in Group A after hitting Maverick with a cartwheel DDT from the top.
- Kushida def. Tony Nese: In the next Group A matchup, Kushida took down the former Cruiserweight Champion after applying the Sakuraba Lock for the submission victory.
Matt Riddle and his new partner Timothy Thatcher talked about their new alliance and Riddle promised to show the beauty of Thatcher next week. He didn’t reveal the details and asked his partner to trust him.
A vignette was aired for Karrion Kross and his mystery lady partner. Byron Saxton confirms it is Scarlett Bordeaux but refers to her as only Scarlett.
Candice LeRae (in a new darker look) and Johnny Gargano spoke from their dinner table about the atrocities they have faced during their time in NXT. They promised to rebuild the division and become the first married couple to reign as the NXT Champion and NXT Women’s Champion.
- Mia Yim def. Jessi Kamea: Yim took the win with the Protect Ya Neck, and Charlotte Flair made her way out post-match. They both will fight in the ring next week.
- El Hijo del Fantasma def. Jack Gallagher: The newest NXT star picked up his first victory in the Group B matchup after taking down Gallagher with a Samoan Driver.
The masked superstars who abducted Raul Mendonza and Joaquin Wilde tried to take in Fantasma, but he fought them off.
- The Velveteen Dream and Dexter Lumis def. Adam Cole and Roderick Strong: Dream’s original partner Keith Lee was taken out after an attack by Damien Priest. Lumis helped Dream later on as Dream hit the Purple Rainmaker to pin Adam Cole.
WWE NXT Takeaways
1. Dexter Lumis Illuminates
The show had several brilliant moments but the new star Lumis randomly appearing on Dream’s side and helping him take down The Undisputed Era was the highlight of the show. Lumis’ gimmick is a well-polished one and his intentions remain a mystery, but his character work has caught the eyes of the NXT fanbase.
With Dream’s victory, he moves one step closer to the NXT Championship, which has eluded him for quite some time. Dream’s victory will be one of the most iconic moments in NXT history, and hopefully, it takes place in front of a passionate audience.
2. Night of Mysteries
Tommaso Ciampa was attacked by Karrion Kross last week and was nowhere to be seen during this week’s episode. The series of haunting vignettes for Kross and his friend/lover/valet, Scarlett, continued this week, and WWE is doing the right job of building them up. However, Gargano/Candice are also looking to cement their places as the ‘it couple’, which will surely be a conflicting issue for Kross/Scarlett.
Finn Balor’s random disappearance was also quite a mystery, as there is no clue on who took him down. Was it NXT UK Champion WALTER? Did the Undisputed Era take him down? We should get more answers next week.