WWE NXT Results and Highlights
The live show kicked off with a new format, Mauro Ranallo and Beth Phoenix joining in as commentators but from different locations.
- Isaiah ‘Swerve’ Scott def. El Hijo de Fantasma: Scott rolled up Fantasma for a win as both the individuals went 1-1 in their groups. Post-match, Scott cut a promo, giving props to Fantasma and vowed to enter the finals.
Dominik Dijakovic cut a promo from outside the building, calling out Johnny Gargano and Candice LeRae’s hypocrisy. He said NXT has given Johnny everything and yet he complains. He challenged him to a match next week.
El Hijo de Fantasma was once again attacked by the masked kidnappers but he fought them off.
- Candice LeRae def. Kacy Catanzaro: Flanked by her husband Gargano, LeRae picked up the win with the Wicked Stepsister, in her first match since turning heel. LeRae attacked Kacy post-match and put her in the GargaNoEscape.
Matt Riddle and Timothy Thatcher joined a new show with Byron Saxton as the host. Saxton asked them personal questions to which both had extremely different and hilarious answers. Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner of Imperium attacked the duo and dropped the titles on Thatcher to end the segment.
Adam Cole cut a promo and said the Dream will be over next week, as the NXT Championship match between him and Velveteen Dream is made official.
- Charlotte Flair def. Mia Yim: Flair warmed up for her match against Io Shirai next week by taking down Yim with the Figure Eight.
- Dexter Lumis def. Shane Thorne: Lumis continued his mysterious presence in NXT and took down Thorne with the arm-triangle submission as Throne passed out in the ring.
- Drake Maverick def. Tony Nese: Maverick defeated the former Cruiserweight Champion to go 1-1, and kept his hopes of becoming the champion alive.
- NXT North American Championship Match | Keith Lee(c) def. Damien Priest: Lee, who was not 100% after Priest’s attack last week, retained his title after hitting Priest with the Spirit Bomb.
WWE NXT Takeaways
1. Keith Lee Continues to Impress
Keith Lee is continuing to dominate NXT with his godlike presence every week and is arguably overshadowing Adam Cole who possesses the top title of the brand. Lee retained the title over Priest and is being presented similarly to how Drew McIntyre is on RAW.
WWE is often criticized for the handling of babyfaces, especially babyface champions, and individuals like Lee and McIntyre are a breath of fresh air. With NXT’s division filled with talent from top to bottom, who steps up to face the Limitless Keith Lee will be interesting to see.
2. No Brakes for Drake
Drake Maverick continuing in the Interim Cruiserweight Championship tourney came as a surprise after he was on the list of releases a few weeks ago, but it seems like WWE is cashing in on the tremendous sympathy he garnered after the announcement.
Maverick is a talented star and never got to showcase his in-ring abilities over the years, being relegated as a mouthpiece. However, if Maverick does go on to win the tournament, it will be a fairytale ending for the star and might lead to WWE resigning him.
3. A Takeover Worthy Card
Finn Balor returns, Karrion Kross and Scarlett Bordeaux debut, Adam Cole and Charlotte Flair defend their titles against Velveteen Dream and Io Shirai respectively, while Gargano starts a new rivalry with Dijakovic.
NXT is overshadowing the other main-roster shows with their stacked cards every week, and will surely present a bigger challenge to AEW in ratings.