Event: WWE SmackDown Live
Date: August 13, 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada
Results & Highlights
- Kevin Owens opened the show talking about his match against Shane McMahon. McMahon came out and slapped Owens with a fine of $100,000 for hitting Elias, who was an official during their match.
- Charlotte Flair defeated Ember Moon in a Women’s Singles Match. The Queen hit a big boot before locking in the Figure Eight for the win.
- Roman Reigns defeated Buddy Murphy: Reigns leapt off the steps with a Superman Punch before hitting the Spear to turn Murphy inside out for the win.
- Samoa Joe defeated Kevin Owens in a 1-on-1 match with Elias as the special guest enforcer. Owens delivered a powerbomb to Joe and was about to win when Elias pulled the referee out of the ring before the 3 count. Joe rolled up a distracted Owens and Elias made a fast 3 count to hand over the win to The Samoan Submission Machine.
- Backstage: Daniel Bryan and Rowan assaulted Buddy Murphy in the locker room until he admitted that he lied.
- The team of Randy Orton and The Revival defeated The New Day in a Six Man Tag Match. The Revival delivered a Shatter Machine on Xavier Woods to secure the win. Post-match, Revival tried to beatdown Woods and Big E but Kingston thwarted their attempts only to fall for an RKO from Orton. The Viper went on a spree by delivering RKOs to each of the New Day Members and a second one to the WWE Champion.
- Backstage: Roman Reigns confronted Bryan and Rowan in the locker room, and Bryan promised to bring The Big Dog his attacker next week.
Takeaways from SmackDown Live
The Dreaded Story Continues
Just when you thought Kevin Owens had finally defeated Shane McMahon and ended his tyrannical rule on SmackDown Live, Owens-McMahon resumed hostilities this week. McMahon recruited a new lackey this time around, with Samoa Joe doing the dirty work for the ‘Best in the World’.
WWE is amazingly good at acknowledging its shortcomings, which is what they did when Owens called out McMahon. However, their story should be over at this point and the Prizefighter must move on to bigger and better things.
WWE have apparently replaced McIntyre with Joe in Shane’s Army, and that is not a good sign for the Destroyer. Joe looked set for a face turn after his actions last week and a quick match against Sami Zayn last night, but it seems WWE aren’t going to pull the trigger on a face run anytime soon.
A New Challenger Rises?
Charlotte Flair defeated Trish Stratus in a highly entertaining battle at Summerslam, while her SmackDown Live compatriots Bayley and Ember Moon faced off in a matchup for the SmackDown Women’s Championship. Flair defeated Moon on SmackDown Live this week, and looks set for a feud against her former nemesis Bayley.
Bayley was the superstar who broke Flair’s two-year long unbeaten streak in PPVs, and those two could engage in battle once again. With Lynch and Banks on RAW, the Four Horsewomen are officially taking over WWE Women’s Division, and that is not a bad thing by any means!
A Star is Born
For those familiar with Buddy Murphy’s work on 205 Live and in NXT, it was disappointing to see Murphy’s lack of TV time on SmackDown Live. He finally got his moment in the sun last week, when Roman Reigns interrogated him regarding the mystery attacker. Murphy went on to wrestle his first PPV match, and this week stole the show in a star-making performance with Roman Reigns.
Reigns is notorious for winning almost every match he partakes in, and his win against Murphy was hardly a surprise. However, Murphy showed the world why he deserves to be in a much bigger position in WWE.
Andrade and Cedric on RAW and Murphy on SmackDown Live, WWE is finally looking to give the younger talent a chance. Hopefully, it’s not just one-off and the trend continues in the coming weeks.
The Mystery Continues
Roman Reigns’ best storyline in a long-long time, the mystery attacker storyline continued on SmackDown Live this week. After Murphy’s revelation last week that Rowan was behind the attack, Daniel Bryan and Rowan took offense to the comments. Bryan and Rowan revealed that they had nothing to do with the attack, and in a great segment to end the episode, promised to reveal the attackers next week.
The cliffhanger end to the show is a perfect way to engage the audience, and the reveal next week is sure to shake things up. Could a returning Luke Harper be the attacker? Only time will tell!