Event: WWE SmackDown Live
Date: August 20, 2019
Location: Sioux Fall, South Dakota
Results & Highlights
- Randy Orton opened this week’s SmackDown Live by reveling in on his attack on The New Day on Monday Night Raw. Kofi Kingston attacked Orton from behind with a Trouble in paradise. The Revival made the save before Kingston could cause any damage to Orton’s ankle.
- King of the Ring, Round 1: Andrade defeated Apollo Crews via pinfall in Round 1 of KOTR after Zelina Vega provided a momentary distraction. Andrade delivered a Hammerlock DDT to secure the win.
- Bayley accepted a challenge issued by Charlotte Flair on “A Moment of Bliss”, pushed Flair from the chair and left the scene.
- Buddy Murphy defeated Daniel Bryan and got the biggest victory of his career. Rowan tried to interfere in the match but Murphy hit a Muphy’s Law to seal the win.
- The Revival defeated Heavy Machinery after Dash Wilder rolled up Tucker to secure the pinfall.
- Sami Zayn joined The Miz on Miz TV and announced that her will be the spokesperson for Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura. The Artist came to the ring and attacked host, eventually delivering a Kinshasa.
- King of the Ring, Round 1: Elias defeated Kevin Owens after Shane McMahon inserted himself in the match towards the end, as a referee. Earlier, McMahon lifted the $100,000 fine on Kevin Owens under the agreement that if KO ever touched another official, he would be immediately fired. Elias capitalized on the distraction and secured a roll-up win off a cheap fast-count by McMahon.
- Daniel Bryan reveals some random person (Rown lookalike) as the attacker of Roman Reigns to end the show.
Takeaways from SmackDown Live
Kevin Owens Gets the Shorter End of the Stick, Again
In case you forgot, Kevin Owens defeated Shane McMahon at Summerslam. The WWE Universe rejoiced after Owens fought off a tyrant in the form of Shane McMahon and overcame two-on-one odds to win the match.
The rivalry should have been done by that point. However, Shane McMahon’s presence on SmackDown Live is refusing to die down for some reason. Owens started off King of the Ring tournament as one of the favorites to win the whole thing, but this week on SmackDown Live, Elias defeated Owens in the very first round, thanks to Shane McMahon.
It is quite baffling to see the story continue week after week with no proper endgame in sight. Owens claimed he was better than Shane, and accordingly defeated him. There was nothing else left in the rivalry, and there is no concrete reason to further this feud.
The New IIconic Duo?
Sami Zayn and Shinsuke Nakamura formed a new alliance on SmackDown Live this week, with Zayn helping Nakamura to destroy the Miz during the Miz TV. This could be the start of a rivalry between Nakamura and Miz, with the A-Lister chasing the Intercontinental Championship once again.
It is an understatement to say that Nakamura’s run on the main roster has been underwhelming. He won the US Championship and was never seen on TV again, won the IC title weeks ago, but is yet to do anything substantial with it. He had a horrid run, chasing the WWE Championship against Jinder Mahal and AJ Styles.
A partnership with Zayn, who is fabulous at promos, could help Nakamura and quite possibly achieve the heights of his NXT run.
A Push, No One Saw Coming
Daniel Bryan is one of the best superstars on the roster when it comes to helping the younger talents. He brought up Ali from the 205 Live roster last year, which led to Ali becoming a great babyface on SmackDown Live. Now, Bryan is helping to put over Murphy big time. Murphy defeated Bryan clean as a whistle this week on SmackDown, which is a major statement for the former Cruiserweight Champion.
Big things lie ahead for the Best Kept Secret of WWE, and Murphy will look to grab it with both his hands.
The Queen is Back for a Shot at the Throne
Charlotte Flair can’t be kept far away from the Championship scene for too long. Bayley and Charlotte Flair was officially confirmed as the first match for Clash of Champions PPV. Bayley has had a decent run with the title, but a match against the top talent of the Women’s Division will be a major test for the first-ever Triple Crown Champion in WWE.
Charlotte has won the Women’s Championship a record nine times in WWE and will go into the match as a major favorite.
What Was That?
The whole episode was built on the mystery attacker storyline involving Roman Reigns, Buddy Murphy, Daniel Bryan and Erick Rowan (he got his first name back!). In the final segment of the episode, Bryan revealed the mystery attacker, who was a bearded individual who looked exactly like Rowan.
In what should’ve been a major reveal, the segment ended up being a parody and was more hilarious than impactful. Hopefully, things get cleared out next week.