WWE SmackDown Results and Highlights
The SmackDown After Mania episode opened up with the new Universal Champion Braun Strowman, who talked about his dominating victory against Goldberg at WrestleMania. Strowman was interrupted by Shinsuke Nakamura, who along with Cesaro attacked the champion.
- WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship Match | Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross def. The Kabuki Warriors: The new champions retained their titles in a rematch from WrestleMania, after Cross hit Kairi Sane with the swinging neck breaker.
Elias performed his new song in the empty arena, asking fans at home to join him in his performance. He mentioned his victory over King Corbin at WrestleMania and talked about winning the Money in the Bank briefcase.
- Dolph Ziggler def. Tucker: With some help from Sonya Deville, Ziggler took down the big man from Heavy Machinery. Tucker ate a superkick, resulting in a pinfall victory for the 2-time WWE Champion.
The Miz and John Morrison hosted the latest episode of Dirt Sheet and performed their new song ‘Hey Hey’. Their performance was interrupted by The Usos and New Day, resulting in a triple threat for the tag-titles next week, with The Miz defending against Big E and Jey Uso.
- The Forgotten Sons def. Lucha House Party: The villainous faction from NXT made their main roster debut in a dominant fashion by wreaking havoc on the luchadors.
Backstage, Carmella and Dana Brooke challenged the Tag Team Champions, Bliss and Cross. The champs discussed for a while before accepting the challenge.
Bayley and Sasha Banks made their way to the ring and talked about Bayley’s huge victory at WrestleMania. Tamina Snuka interrupted the duo and laid down a challenge. Bayley proposed a match between Banks and Tamina, and if Tamina wins, she’ll get to challenge for the title.
- Sheamus def. Cal Bloom: The Celtic Warrior continued his run of dominating victories, with an easy win over Bloom with the Brogue Kick.
The commentators talked about Jeff Hardy’s career, leading to highlights from his early run with Matt in the company.
- Braun Strowman def. Shinsuke Nakamura: Strowman overcame Nakamura and his buddy Cesaro in the non-title match, after hitting the former NXT Champion with the running powerslam.
Post-match, Bray Wyatt appeared on the screen and talked about his history with Strowman, laying down a challenge for the Universal Champion. Strowman said he’ll be ready to ‘let him in’.
WWE SmackDown Takeaways
1. The Vengeance
Bray Wyatt’s character runs solely on seeking vengeance and looking to right the past wrongs. After taking down Balor, Rollins, Bryan and Cena, he has now turned his attention to his former disciple, Braun Strowman. Strowman vs Wyatt is a tailor-made feud that could go on for several months and easily be one of the best rivalries in recent years.
Putting Wyatt back in the title picture does seem redundant though, as his feud against Goldberg becomes a complete joke. The Fiend only works when he has vengeance on his mind, and against Goldberg, there was no past story, which could be a kayfabe reason for the Fiend losing so easily.
2. The Slow Burner
Slowly and steadily WWE is sowing the seeds for an eventual feud with Bayley and Sasha Banks, which is bound to be one hell of a rivalry. Both the superstars produced some exceptional matches during their time in NXT, and come Summerslam, we could see the main roster version of their classic in Brooklyn all those years ago.
It does seem like Banks will be the one to turn face while Bayley retains her deluded narcissistic personality going forward. It would be a role reversal from their feud in NXT, where The Boss was the outlandish, self-centered character while Bayley was the fun-loving people’s favorite.
3. The Sad State of Women’s Tag Team Division
WWE has sadly zero good teams in the division right now, who could step up and challenge Bliss and Cross for the tag team titles. The IIconics have disappeared, Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose are having their own issues, Kabuki Warriors are done for the time being and Bayley and Sasha Banks are doing their thing in the main-event scene.
Carmella and Dana Brooke are a rather random tag-team thrown together for a filler feud which makes zero sense on the paper. WWE must try to establish more and more tag teams, indulge them in longer feuds or else the tag-titles will become irrelevant.