Event: WWE SmackDown
Date: March 20, 2020
Location: WWE Performance Center, Orlando, FL
WWE SmackDown Results and Highlights
- SmackDown opened with Mojo Rawley and Michael Cole in the ring, introducing Wrestlemania host Rob Gronkowski. King Corbin interrupted and asked Gronk to kneel before him, which he refused. Elias interrupted the proceedings with his new song and attacked Corbin. Gronk proposed a Corbin vs Elias match for WrestleMania and the segment ended with the three faces standing tall.
- Drew Gulak and Daniel Bryan def. Shinsuke Nakamura and Cesaro: The two technically gifted individuals took on the two hard-hitters, and ended up winning after Bryan rolled up Cesaro for the win.
- Backstage: Sami Zayn and his buddies confronted the winners and Bryan challenged Zayn to a match at WrestleMania but Zayn said if Gulak can defeat Nakamura next week, Bryan will get his WM match.
- Paige joined the show via Skype and announced Bayley’s match for WrestleMania, a six-pack challenge featuring Bayley, Tamina, Lacey Evans, Naomi, Dana Brooke and Sasha Banks for the SmackDown Women’s Championship.
- Nikki Cross and Alexa Bliss challenged Asuka for a match and invited her to SmackDown next week.
- Miz and John Morrison made their way out for a new edition of Dirt Sheet. They mocked New Day, The Usos and Heavy Machinery before the real Heavy Machinery interrupted for a match.
- The Miz and Morrison def. Heavy Machinery by DQ: The champions reigned supreme as Otis snapped after Dolph Ziggler showed him pictures of Ziggler and Mandy Rose’s blossoming relationship.
- Roman Reigns and Goldberg joined Cole in the ring for the contract signing. The duo traded verbal jabs with Reigns calling the champ a little bit*h bulldog in Reigns’ yard. Goldberg flipped the table and they stared each other down to end the show.
WWE SmackDown Takeaways
1. A Dream Match
Sami Zayn was officially challenged by Daniel Bryan for a match at WrestleMania, and two of the best wrestlers in WWE currently fighting for one of the most prestigious titles in the history of the company is bound to be a roller-coaster ride.
Zayn has been out of full-time action for quite some time, and hence, it is unclear whether he will be at his best in the match against Bryan, but it is bound to be a screamer nonetheless.
Zayn vs Bryan isn’t the first-time matchup, but with the title on the line at the biggest event of the year, for a title Bryan never lost, it will be a treat to watch.
2. The Seeds Have Been Sown
No one could have imagined Bayley as a douchey heel, and it is harder to imagine her succeeding at that role. Bayley is reaching Tommaso Ciampa levels of obsession with her title, and after the six-pack announcement, she even left the side of her friend Sasha Banks.
It remains to be seen if Bayley or Banks turn on each other leading up to WrestleMania, but it would surely be a fantastic moment and a female division version of what Gargano and Ciampa have going in NXT.
3. A Hype Debut
Rob Gronkowski, one of the best NFL players in the recent era, finally made his debut on WWE programming and gave a major glimpse of what is about to come. Gronk is a goofy character, and along with his friend Mojo, the duo will have great fun being hype.
Gronk with some wrestling skills would be an enjoyable sight, and his energy is infectious. He has the character of No Way Jose, but with a much larger frame and charisma to go with it.
4. Snippety Snappety
Dolph Ziggler finally got to see what messing with a good guy can result in. After taunting Otis with pictures of him and Mandy, Ziggler paid witness to a brutal beatdown by Otis, who unloaded on Miz and Morrison.
The segment was beautifully done and highlighted Otis’ dark side. Otis’ funny and goofy nature has been on TV for a long time, and it was a delight to see him tap into his dark persona.