1. Reason Behind Charlotte Flair’s NXT Women’s Championship win
One of the biggest WrestleMania shocks came in the form of Charlotte Flair defeating Rhea Ripley to become NXT Women’s Champion. The Nightmare had been the subject of a huge push up to WrestleMania and was expected to retain the Championship. This obviously wasn’t the case and according to a report by The Wrestling Observer, this was because NXT needs the ratings as their Wednesday Night War with AEW continues.
This week NXT narrowly defeated AEW and it’s thought that having The Queen back on NXT will be enough to sway fans over to the brand in future.
2. Roman Reigns’ Return Date Remains Unknown
Roman Reigns was originally scheduled to fight Goldberg for the Universal Championship at WrestleMania this past weekend, but given the recent COVID-19 pandemic, the former World Champion made the decision to pull out of the show on health grounds. Braun Strowman replaced Reigns and became Universal Champion at WrestleMania before he was then challenged for the title by Bray Wyatt last night on SmackDown.
According to a report by The Wrestling Observer, it’s up to Roman Reigns when he makes his return since it’s a decision based on his health, it makes sense that WWE is giving him some leeway.
3. WWE Stars Looking To Get Piledriver Move Returned
While the WWE Universe sees Undertaker and Kane deliver a Piledriver regularly, they are the only two stars who have permission to use the move on WWE TV, something that many stars are hoping to change. According to a report by Fightful Select, Kevin Owens is one of the main stars looking to push for the move to return.
The belief is that the move may be able to return if it’s a variation and if the term “Piledriver” isn’t actually used. Many stars over the years have pushed to use it but since the Canadian Destroyer has been used multiple times in recent months, it’s believed that WWE could allow one of their best-known banned moves to return as well.
4. Randy Orton and AJ Styles Not Expected To Be Seen For a While
Back at WrestleMania, AJ Styles and Randy Orton were on the losing end of two of the company’s biggest matches. While Orton received a Con-Chair-To to end the Last Man Standing Match with Edge, AJ Styles was “buried alive” in the Boneyard with The Undertaker which means that according to a report by Tom Colohue of Sportskeeda, both men will be taking time away from the company to sell their injuries.
“There are a lot of people now that we’re not going to see for a while. A lot of it is down to the contracts. I would look at The Usos as well who have a limited date contract, so we may see a lot less of them, Naomi as well. So there are a number of people like that. Randy Orton also, who is one we’re not going to see for a while because he technically had his skull caved in.I think AJ was chosen on the basis that he may want to spend some time off. It may be that when he comes back there is a brand change but from what we saw on Monday Night RAW, there weren’t a lot of top-name stars there and when you look at how things are going to be recorded and taped if people have gone home, we’re not going to see them for quite a while because they are taping back to back to back.”
5. Vince McMahon Trying Hard To Ensure That He Keeps Jeff Hardy?
Last night on SmackDown it was made clear that WWE was making a big deal out of Jeff Hardy’s return since the Charismatic Enigma recently watched his brother walk away from WWE and into AEW. According to a report by WrestlingNews, Vince McMahon is giving Hardy a huge push in the hopes that it will prevent him from leaving when his contract expires in around a year’s time.
“I am told that this is the start of a big push for Hardy, who has almost a year left with the company due to time added on his contract because of his injury time off. Vince McMahon is said to be impressed with Hardy’s determination to get clean. Hardy went into inpatient rehab for the first time in his life in late 2019 after relapsing.”
6. Mauro Ranallo Commentating From Home?
This week’s episode of NXT heard the voice of Mauro Ranallo, even though he wasn’t seen at all throughout the broadcast. Since the show was pre-recorded, it meant that Ranallo was able to add his commentary to the piece afterward, and according to The Wrestling Observer, he was commentating on the show from his home in California.
This week’s episode of SmackDown saw the return of Corey Graves as WWE’s shows return to their live format, it’ll be interesting to see if Ranallo is back for next week’s NXT.
As ever, wrestling fans are reminded that the above are just rumors and should not be taken at face value as facts.