Velveteen Dream’s shock NXT return this past week caused a huge stir in the realm of WWE. Not only did his return upset fans, but several Superstars were extremely enraged over his preferential treatment.
Dream was previously accused of sexual misconduct under the #SpeakingOut movement. Despite those allegations, WWE brought him back to weekly television with Triple H claiming that they haven’t found any evidence in the investigation.
On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Melter noted that the sudden disappearance of the first wave of accusers despite audio evidence being made available is quite concerning. There’s more than meets the eye with this scenario.
“So you had the first group of people, and they disappeared, okay? And you know when a group of people disappear there are several different things that can happen all of which have happened in wrestling at different points in time when it comes to pay-offs to make it go away.”
“It comes to being scared even if it’s true. It could be scared because they made it up. There’s many different explanations for people going public and then immediately disappearing.”
“Then when the next guy came forward Josh Fuller they never contacted him he said and he said that over this last week and his name’s out there.”
“That does become concerning when you know there is someone out there so it’s like, you know there’s your answer. It still leaves a hole or a question, it leaves a question mark, I’ll just say that.”
Meltzer further noted that “Vince has been accused of worse than” what Dream has been accused of. However, since Mr. McMahon sees the matter differently and his past accusations have “led him in that direction,” The Chairman Of Board “is going to take that approach with everyone, especially if it’s someone he likes.”
Dream will battle Finn Balor this Wednesday night to earn a spot in the 6-Man Ladder Match for the NXT North American Championship at TakeOver: XXX.